Friday, August 27, 2010

Scrappin'

You may have watched that new show on Spike TV. It follows a group of scrappers in Brooklyn, NY as they hunt down and haul off scrap metal of all shapes and sizes. That show really gets on my nerves but if nothing else is on I watch anyway, jealous of all the trash and treasures they haul off.

You see, I haul scrap, or at least I locate it for my father-in-law. He is retired military and loves to tear things apart for scrap. It keeps him busy and generates extra money to care for his son. For me it's the thrill of the hunt. I get a mad rush finding something on the side of the road or on craigslist or through one of my ads. Yes, I place ads on craigslist and gowilkes.com, and sometimes I actually get paid to haul of crap for people. My husband and I do what we can to make a buck and we are in no way above hauling a bunch of garbage off.

Say we get $100 to haul off a big pile of junk. It might take a couple of hours to load it, but all the while we are sorting it into donate/sell, scrap, dump. We don't like dumping things into a landfill, so we scrap, donate and sell what we can. And if it costs $15 to dump the pure trash, that's not too bad. Here is a shot of my latest haul. I'm so proud!
You can imagine that not much of this stuff will fit into my Toyota Matrix, though you might be surprised at what I can get in there. Usually I have to call my hubby to come with the Ford F350, which he is happy to do. But I would kill for one of those junker little pickup trucks, the kind with multi-colored paint and massive rust patches. So if you see one cheap, let me know. Free is better!

Happy day!
XOXO
Slushy

No comments:

Post a Comment