Sunday, August 29, 2010

Stuffed Biscuit Cups

This year I volunteered to pack a lunch for my little nine year old brother-in-law, Bud. He cannot stand school lunches except on days they serve pizza or chicken nuggets. That means that there are only about 6 days a month he wants to eat cafeteria food. This is my first time packing a lunch for a child and I wanted to avoid the typical boring bologna sandwich. That being said, Bud is not exactly open minded when it comes to food. He has been raised in a home with a single father who does not cook. So his meals have mostly consisted of canned ravioli, frozen pizza bites, chicken nuggets and frozen kids meals with junk food added liberally.

Luckily, Bud will try anything I cook myself, including all of the foods he dislikes: rice, mushrooms and beans. Still, my biggest challenge will be the fact that Bud does not live with us. That means transporting the lunches and snacks. In addition, I have to make it easy enough for Bud to pack his own lunch in his trusty new lunch box each day.

Now, back to the food! In trying to think of things Bud will like that will also taste yummy cold, I came up with a simple solution: Stuffed Biscuit Cups. I went digging through my mom's old recipes and pulled out BarB Cups, a simple biscuit filled with something like a sloppy joe mixture. I decided instead to make my fillings from what I had on hand to make ahead three lunches this week, all in one whammy. Here are my fillings: 1) Turkey and Cheddar; 2) Mozzarella and Mini Turkey Pepperoni with Parmesan and Italian seasonings; 3) Chocolate Chip with Strawberry Preserves.

I used large canned flaky biscuits and pressed each biscuit down into an unlined muffin tin to make my cups. Then I filled each cup with my choice of toppings. I baked them according to the directions on the biscuits, 12-14 minutes. I baked them the entire 14 minutes to make sure they were done inside. My husband and I sampled them and they are wonderful! I can't wait to try more fillings! Next will be apples and cinnamon!!!

4 comments:

  1. and I shall publicly follow you, auntie ! love ya... p.s. these look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! They are good. A little too good. ;) ps: you momma sent me a check for your money thinking I left it, and I'm going to mail that part back to her so you can get your moolah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look soooo good, wonderful lunch idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, bentobird! I made some more but added spicy mustard to the turkey cheese cups and peanut butter to the chocolate chip cups. Yummz!

    ReplyDelete